We vet students for academic excellence, then run them through an 8-week training program where they acquire a more entrepreneurial mindset. Before initial placement, each student signs a waiver and a NDA with us and the employer prior to placement. During a placement, we carefully monitor the student and log all activities, so that the student remains on track with respect to all his/her job responsibilities.
The time commitment we are asking from employers:
- 6 months per placement
- 2 hours a week at the office
- 1-2 hours a week of oversight on educational/research projects the student pursues on his/her own
Some of the fine print
- Students must be 14 years of age.
- Students that make the cut are tested for personality types and aptitudes using Myers-Briggs, and they also do some career testing using Sokanu.
Current grade 12 student
Placed last year with Tangoo for 6 months, and is now a Lifeschool hire: check out his job experience here!
Current grade 12 student
Interested in engineering, placed in a job shadowing and mentoring experience at Illusense – read about his experience here!
The 8-week course:
Week 1: Introduction to entrepreneurship
Week 2: Mindset, Life Balance, Time Management, and Taking Control
Week 3: Indoctrination: The Startup World
Week 4: Personal Branding
Week 5: Interview Skills, Tenacity, and Researching Your Companies
Week 6: Self-learning and Research
Week 7: How a company business model works
Week 8: Review and Test
After a successful interview, a student and his/her parents sign a waiver and a NDA prior to placement; the placement is for a 6-month trial period with a 2-4 hour commitment of face time at the company’s office(s) with a mentor(s).
- to treat the student with respect
- to decide with the student (and in consultation with us) what the student will do during his/her placement
- to set up a weekly work schedule including take home work, including deadlines and performance markers etc.
- to teach hard and soft skills related to the company’s business
- to invite the student to company/industry events
- to report to us regularly on the student’s performance
- to be energetic, reliable, punctual, and respectful to all mentors/employees
- to be available at least 2-4 hours weekly, based on a frequency agreed upon with mentor
- to dress appropriately when meeting anyone associated with placement
- to work HARD to meet work/project commitments
- to regularly meet or communicate with mentor in-person at the office, off site or via email or phone
- to submit a weekly report on your progress via email to Lifeschool and mentor